Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Busyness and Business

Both of those words just look funny to me when you spell them out....Sorry for beginning on a random tangent. But at least both of those words are related to what the post is about today. Do I at least get half-credit for that? Please?

So. Busyness. Lots of goings on in the life of Ru. And all of it pretty darn marvelous stuff. Wedding planning, girls' day out, St Patty's Day celebrations, eye exams, flower-planting, family get-togethers, Zumba classes....whew! So it's been All Quiet on the Crafting Front (Erich Maria Remarque is probably rolling over in his grave at this precise moment). But I did get in all of the embroidery supplies I ordered. Yay! Friday night I threw some white cotton I hacked off of a larger piece into the embroidery hoop, threaded up a needle, broke out ye olde stitch dictionary and started to embroider! I was really only practicing a few stitches, so there wasn't any kind of pattern. And those stitches were quite uneven and lopsided at first (and second and third and so on...lol), but it was definitely fun. Although I definitely need a thimble. And more practice. So I'm hoping to get both of those things some time this week. I'll post up a couple of pics of my first stab at embroidery too. It should be quite amusing for you all.

As for business....the first free seminar at the community college about starting up a new business is next Monday. I am both excited and nervous about it. So I'm exervous. Or nercited. Whichever. But I'm sure that I'll get some good information, and that's what this research phase is all about. I have a lot of questions - Is there a real market for crafts in my community? Would the economy support making such an endeavor? How do I pay for it? Where would be the best place for the kind of store I want? How do I write a business plan? Who should I go through to rent the kind of space I want? Where do I go to purchase inventory? See? Lots of them. And I'm pretty sure that each answer I get will lead to more questions. So on top of practicing embroidery this week, I'll also be writing up a (long) list of questions.

So it seems like the busy/busi-ness shall continue on through this week. Which is cool with me :) I'm thankful that I lead such a full life and that it's filled with wonderful people to share it with!

Hope you're having wonderful weeks, mes amis! (We booked our honeymoon in New Orleans this past week, so I'm brushing up on some French....)

Ru

No comments:

Post a Comment